FMP Jindai
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Character Prioritization

3 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Character Prioritization - Page 2 Empty Re: Character Prioritization

Post  MikaMika Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:24 am

If she attended a military school, other than Mithril, then there's no chance it could have been like Mithril. Most military schools wouldn't even touch most of the crap they bother teaching and enforcing at the academy, so there's nothing like it. Think of Mithril Academy like the 'Full Metal Jacket' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Metal_Jacket) of military schools, while the rest of them are more like 'Cadet Kelly' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadet_Kelly) in comparison. That's just how different this place is. They won't bother not teaching something because it's seen as too dangerous or risky, because the kids attending are meant to be recognized as mercenaries ready for hire upon graduation. Like we said, it's fine if you want her to have past military involvement of some kind, and having her be the only survivor of a tragedy from it, but it won't have been at any school like the academy, because there is none.
MikaMika
MikaMika
G.O.D.
G.O.D.

Back to top Go down

Post  Darthtabby Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:37 pm

In which case I'm going to once again put forward my earlier idea of having what happened to Yui's friends happen while she was enrolled in Mithril. The stuff the place has their students doing is certainly dangerous enough for something like that to happen. But I kind of doubt that's going to fly, since as was noted by both Misha and myself, having a group of cadets get killed in action would have caused the academy big problems. That was actually the whole reason I'd even been thinking of doing Yui as a transfer student in the first place.

Some sort of military prep school would fit well with Yui's background in some respects, but the problem there is that its would be hard to see a student who is currently attending a place like that ending up on a real battlefield. (And Yui is definitely someone who has been shaped by experience on a real battlefield.) Plus I guess if we're playing things completely realistically, I doubt Japan has any military prep schools period.

Darthtabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Darthtabby Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:07 am

Actually, taking the idea that Yui lost friends while she was at Mithril and running with it a bit... what if for the most part the academy actually did pretty well in that mission? What if despite the customer vastly misrepresenting the mission's true threat level (and someone on the customer's end leaking info to boot) Mithril managed to extract most of the students involved okay... with the exception of one small team of about four or so who ended up in a particularly bad spot.

Now granted, that's still means three students were killed on a mission. But from Mika's saying here, there's a certain acceptance that what the academy does is dangerous. And the mission would show that while it can't guarantee no one will get hurt, Mithril provides its students with sufficient training and backup to get most of them out of even really nightmarish situations.

Or is that still not workable for you guys?

Darthtabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Misha Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:18 am

The problem with that idea is that there's something called 'Survivor's guilt.' The school would not allow someone to continue to be in an actual squad leader position after something like that. Doesn't mean they'd be pulled out of the leadership program, but they wouldn't be in an actual command position since the school would want to do a LOT of observation and therapy
Misha
Misha
G.O.D.
G.O.D.

Character sheet
Name:
Player:

https://fmp-jindai.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Darthtabby Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:07 pm

Well we don't exactly have much in the way of options for squads she could take command of anyway. Something like that could actually explain why she's in a squad led by a leadership cadet in a lower year than she is.

Also I'd been thinking that incident happened near the end of the year and that she missed the next year because of it. So among the current students only the third and fourth year students would actually have been around at the time the incident took place. Thus there are definitely going to be other students who know what happened to her, but its something first and second year students might or might not know (well, aside from her squad leader, who would presumably have been informed).

Darthtabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Misha Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:38 pm

As long as she's not a squad leader, I have no problem with the event happening. Mika may have other things to say, so wait until her response in case there's anything I didn't think of that she does.
Misha
Misha
G.O.D.
G.O.D.

Character sheet
Name:
Player:

https://fmp-jindai.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MikaMika Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:37 pm

If this was the case, then the school would most likely have her monitored as much as possible to make sure she wouldn't freak out and have a flashback, similar to those men that had bad experiences in Vietnam. Survivor's Guilt can manifest in a lot of different ways, and sometimes cause one to be far more anxious of the happenings around them than they would have normally, or over-react to simple events because of a similar experience that lead to the horrific death of a teammate.

If you're still cool with knowing this and wanting to still go that route, then that'll be fine. We can work with that.
MikaMika
MikaMika
G.O.D.
G.O.D.

Back to top Go down

Post  Darthtabby Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:19 pm

At the moment, its about the only thing I can think of that will make this work, so I think its what I'm going to try and roll with. Ideally though I'd like it if she wasn't so heavily monitored that its obvious to absolutely everyone. (Though people she has a lot of contact with could start to cue to the fact that something is going on.)

I was thinking that even if she's not a squad leader, she could still be hyper critical of mistakes made in training and have a very negative attitude towards anyone she thinks isn't taking things very seriously as a result of her experiences.

Darthtabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Darthtabby Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:15 pm

I've got a partially complete profile for Yui done up, I thought I'd post it here for feedback.

Spoiler:

Some points of note:

I switched her from Piloting/Leadership to Piloting/Engineering since I decided wanting to be a test pilot played a roll in her coming to the academy.

In TE, Yui is informally referred to as "Princess Yui" by some characters at Yukon Base due to her high social standing in her home country. I'm not sure whether keeping that is a good idea though.

I'm not entirely sure what to put for her physical description, my knowledge of hair terminology isn't great nor am I that good at translating anime pictures into real life weight and height figures. Laughing

The stuff on her likes/dislikes/fears is a tad spotty at this point. TE doesn't go into Yui's hobbies very much -heck, even the kendo thing is something I came up with because she's pictured with a katana in quite a bit of artwork.

I put down leadership under her skills despite her programs and the fact that she likely isn't overly well liked because she's the kind of person who can keep her head and take control during a crisis.

Yui's father seems to be dead in TE, but the anime version at least doesn't say much about how. I'm thinking of cutting this bit for the RPG version of her character since trying to give it much significance in her profile would make things complicated.

I realise the composition of the people Yui is close to doesn't reflect the ethnic diversity of Mithril Academy very well, but I was trying to make use of characters from TE whose loss affected Yui deeply.

Not really sure what to put for a RPG sample -is there anything you would like to see?

Darthtabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2