FMP Jindai
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Month of Hiatus

Go down

The Month of Hiatus Empty The Month of Hiatus

To All RP Players:

Misha and I have taken some time out to allow for any and all other players to post as they pleased, at a speed that was more convenient for them. We had received notes asking if the two of us could slow things down, as apparently a few players felt left behind and not able to post as they wished. In response to these notes, we had decided to back off, and allow the players time to post as they wished, and wait until either of us would be needed.

It has been a month since that decision was made, and no one has bothered to post a thing.

Mind you the two of us have indeed kept busy, we've made a lot of progress on side projects of our own, thinking that when we next checked up on the forum, that we might be needed to respond. Since this has not happened, it has been very disappointing. We understand that it may be frustrating to some to have one or two characters held by others who do not have the time to post more regularly, but when we granted the players their characters, both of us were fully aware of their situations, and understand that posts from them would be erratic.

We've both been keeping an eye on who has and has not been logging on over the past month, and we have been very disappointed in seeing that players have logged on, and then logged right back off without doing anything. If anyone was waiting for either of us to respond, then by all means, you could have shot us a PM and let us know that you couldn't take action until either of us acknowledged you in some way. We backed off like this because it was our understanding that our fellow players wanted a few days to think on their posts, and would like for us to hold back while they did so. Considering the response to this, or lack thereof, the two of us will resume posting as we see fit. We refuse to make concessions for those who complain and then not take their time as previously requested.

Yes, it would have been a completely different issue had any of the players then posted at some point during that month that they were/had been busy, and unable to reply. We understand that life gets in the way, and is more important than games played either on consoles or the internet. We both have lives of our own as well, so if something comes up and you cannot reply, let us know in some way, and we will let others know. But either way, it is still the players responsibility to communicate. We cannot do anything without player input, so whether it is in the chat box or in a PM, SPEAK UP!!

Your Admin. Team,

Misha & MikaMika
MikaMika
MikaMika
G.O.D.
G.O.D.

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

The Month of Hiatus :: Comments

Misha

Post Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:55 am  Misha

(while Mika covered everything on the topic quite clearly I believe, I just wanted to add a note that I believe I fixed the issue of not being able to reply here. Everyone should be able to make a response to these posts but not open a new topic. hopefully this is the case)

Back to top Go down

Chidori Kaname

Post Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:59 am  Chidori Kaname

(yep, seems to have worked, carry on)

Back to top Go down

Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:28 pm  Darthtabby

I suppose I could have done more. I do have a tendency to drift away over time when boards start getting this inactive though. In fact my latest check in was prompted by me seeing one of you in a FMP related discussion over on animesuki.

As far as suggestions, maybe we could do something with the Jindai students reacting to the Amalgam announcement?

This is of course assuming that everyone still wants to continue with the current storylines.

Back to top Go down

Post Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:09 pm  Darthtabby

Okay, some thoughts...

I think first off, we need to get in touch with the people who haven't checked in recently and see how many of them we can get back here.

Secondly, I think the Midnight Raid thread has gotten too bogged down in preparations. I think we should either pick up the pace or just let it die and start something new.

Actually I think in general I'm in favor of trying some new things, even if it risks setting a bad precedent (of simply abandoning things when they run out of steam). I'm even thinking of trying out some new characters.

Also, I know you guys want us to try to establish who our characters already have connections with, but I'd actually like a chance to play out some first meetings between characters if its possible. I think we're missing out on a lot of fun and opportunities by not actually portraying those meetings in character.

Anyhow, those are my suggestions (some of which are influenced by what I as an individual would like to do with this RPG). The ultimate direction we take from here is of course up to you guys.

Back to top Go down

MikaMika

Post Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:33 pm  MikaMika

A very basic rule of table-top RP/LARP to have a clean start to the game is to have all the player-characters have some kind of history with one another, or at least through a degree of separation.
(As in, Characters A and B know each other, Character C went to school with Character B and meets Character A through their mutual acquaintance)

For the Academy in particular, we have given many ways that the characters can all know each other beforehand, and no one seems to take advantage of this. Instead, they're all meeting for the first time, introducing themselves, etc, and that makes it difficult.

Have you ever moved in the middle of a school year? Wasn't it hard to make friends, since everyone had their own groups by the time you got in? I know it was for me. Once the next new year started it wasn't bad, but I had no friends for the 4 months left in the school year, and the 3 months of summer following, back when I moved in the middle of the 6th grade.

Keep that in mind. If you introduce your characters late, it'll be difficult to become good friends with them. When it comes to characters that are just plain new to the school, keep in mind that there is an orientation at the beginning of every year, and that everyone from all years get introduced together. Keep in mind that year mates went through boot camp together, and so they have the possibility of having met there. (Logically, there are multiple batches of boot camps so not everyone goes together, but for RP purposes, they all can live in a magical coincidence bubble where they all get to be together)

Squad mates especially will be familiar with one another. They have to be. Even new ones, they have to be introduced and they have to get to know one another so that there aren't surprises the first time they have to work together. At the very least, that's the smart thing to do.

Academics are taken together. Again, logically, they're split into groups, but magical coincidence bubble strikes again, and they can all take the same academic and basic athletics courses together, or at least some of them. It's like how in anime, there's always the one character that's much dumber or much smarter and, considering they have to take entrance exams to qualify into the school, you wonder how people of such varying degrees of intelligence could possibly attend the same school. Basically -- Screw 'logic' and have the characters all together, so that way there are plenty of interactions and chances to get to know one another and become friends! (or enemies!) That makes things go much more smoothly and there's less chances of being left out and left behind!

You don't have to come up with something elaborate. You don't even have to inform us beforehand, as Mika stated. However, if you're even a little unsure of how the character would have reacted to yours, you can feel more than free to consult the player before making up a history. It doesn't have to be a long history, either, of course. ANY history helps. If you have to introduce yourself every time and go off the hope that your characters will get along, you're likely to be disappointed. You can't expect us to write OOC (out of character) just to meet expectations, and I'm sorry, but we won't. We enjoy the characters because of who they are, we aren't going to change them beyond what we had to in order to fit them in the new 'verse.

If you're going to have a character try to get into established groups, they have to come off as interesting in some way. Otherwise, they won't really be accepted in. This isn't something we're doing on purpose, we aren't trying to lock people out. We're just playing our characters the way they behave. We've actually, on multiple occasions, changed our characters' reactions to allow for a bit more socialization, even though they weren't quite accurate responses.

If you players really want an introduction thread for your characters, then by all means, MAKE THEM. But please understand that by skipping all of that awkwardness, we are trying to help make the RP in general move smoother. No one likes having to meet a bunch of people who already know each other, because then they just feel like the odd man out, and things get very strained until they find their place in the new group. You guys want this so badly, then do what you want, and Misha and I will play along. Just don't go blaming either of us if in other threads we had our people treat yours as friendlies, and then dislike them in your own. It's already obvious to us why things like this should be skipped, but apparently all of you seem to think it important. So have at it if you want it so badly. >.>

Back to top Go down

Post Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:28 pm  Darthtabby

I really can't speak for the others on the wanting introductions issue, only myself. Though when I think about it, I'm actually fairly satisfied with the "act as if they already know each other" route for the characters I've already got in the RPG. It's more some of new ones I'm thinking of playing where I still want to do some intros. And in a couple of those cases I'm actually looking for things to not go smoothly at least initially.

Which I supposed brings up another significant issue... there's some characters from a recent show who I've become rather fond of as of late, and I'd kind of like to play some of them in this RPG. Problem is, I've already got a bunch of characters in this RPG. Personally I'd like to concentrate attention on the newcomers, but I'm not sure what the rest of you would think of that.

Also, one of these new characters has had me thinking it might be cool to do a thread where something goes seriously wrong with some sort of off site mission/excursion and perhaps some students from different houses end up having to work together because of it.

Back to top Go down

Post   Sponsored content

Back to top Go down